Expert to Expert: Movement Disorders, Virtual
Method of delivery: Online
4-5 March 2021
Course Duration: 2-days
Cost: GBP 265.00
Reduced Cost: GBP 235.00 for BPNA Members only
Total Course Places: 48 (6 standard places currently available; 0 reduced rate places available)
CPD Points: 12. You will be able to download a pdf of your CPD certificate following attendance at the course.
Download pre course reading
Read more about Movement Disorders courses
This course will be delivered online in a virtual environment via zoom. We will send registered attendees the link.
The Movement Disorders course aims to develop and deepen knowledge in diagnosis and management of child movement disorders.
This is a practical 2-day course that has been developed by an expert group of Paediatric Neurologists from UK and Ireland. The course consists of lectures and interactive workshops, limited to 8 per group, allowing attendees to bring their own clinical experience to the group’s attention. It is delivered by a faculty of 7 Consultant Paediatric Neurologists.
The emphasis is on:
- How to assess these children in practical terms that can guide the clinician in a busy clinic
- Diagnostic issues from simple home videos through to biochemical and genetic analysis
- Classification of common movement disorders and identification of rarer ones
- Practical difficulties with their management in terms of state of the art drug and therapeutic input, acute issues, as well as more practical issues around multi disciplinary and allied health professional support
This is a 2-day course that will be delivered online in a virtual environment via zoom. You are expected to attend for the whole 2 days.
It is recomended that you join the course via a laptop or computer. Please make sure that you join with a working microphone and video.
Programme - Day 1, Thursday 4 March 2021
|09.00-09.15||Registration & Arrival|
|09.15-09.30||Welcome, demonstration & introduction||Whole Group|
|10.10-10.50||History and examination 'Tricks of the Trade'||Lecture|
|10.50-11.10||Tea & coffee break|
Mr Richard Bowman, Consultant Paediatric Ophthamologist, London
'Eye movements and Ophthalmology assessment in paediatric movement disorders'
|11.50-12.30||Trouble with transmitters||Lecture|
|13.15-14.00||Spasticity management/Functional Disorders||Workshop|
|14.40-15.20||Paroxysmal movement disorders||Lecture|
|15.20-15.40||Tea & coffee break|
|15.40-16.20|| Childhood dystonia and Parkinsonism:
an update in clinical diagnosis and principles of management
Assessing dystonia severity, the role of gut dysmotility in dystonia. Managing status dystonicus
Programme - Day 2, Friday 5 March 2021
|08.30-9.00||Registration & Arrival|
|10.20-11.05||Functional Disorders/Spasticity Management||Workshop|
|11.05-11.20||Tea & coffee break|
|11.20-12.10||Tourette and Stereotypies/Dystonia Management||Workshop|
|12.10-12.55||Dystonia Management/Tourette and Stereotypies||Workshop|
|13.35-14.15||Deep brain stimulation||Lecture|
|14.55-15.15||Tea & coffee break|
|15.15-16.15||Short discussions of cases brought by attendees||Discussion|
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
The course has been developed for:
- Specialists involved in either diagnosing or managing these interesting disorders
- Consultants in Neurodisability
- Consultant Paediatric Neurologists
- Senior trainees in paediatric neurology or neurodisability
MAPPING TO GENERAL PAEDIATRIC COMPETENCIES