PET1 Brazil Virtual
Method of delivery: Online
Saturday 26 June 2021
Course Duration: 1-day
Cost: BRR (Reais) 800.00
Reduced Cost: BRR (Reais) N/A
Total Course Places: 24 (21 standard places currently available; 0 reduced rate places available)
CPD Points: 6. You will be able to download a pdf of your CPD certificate following attendance at the course.
Download pre course reading
Read more about PET courses
This course will be delivered online. You will be sent a link to join the course after you have registered.
This is a 1-day course, which will be delivered by a team of epilepsy specialists from Brazil. It will be delivered in Portuguese. The day will consist of lectures and interactive workshops.
You will be send a pre-course workbook before attending the course. The workbook contains essential learning material so please complete it before the day of the course itself.
By the end of the of PET1, attendees will be able to:
- Define: seizure, epilepsy, epilepsy syndrome and be able to provide a simple classification of epilepsy
- Describe the different seizure types eg absence, myoclonic, tonic clonic, tonic, atonic, focal motor and focal sensory
- Give differential diagnosis for seizures, and how to distinguish epilepsy from syncopes (simple faints, reflex anoxic seizure, breath holding) and inattention (day-dreaming, pre-occupation)
- Manage the first seizure event (not status epilepticus management)
- Appreciate the contribution made by EEG and neuro-imaging
- Describe the principles of treatment, the indication for anti-convulsants and the well-known side effects of these drugs
- Offer practical advice for parents and children with epilepsy
|08.00-10.15||Session 1: History and differential diagnoses|
|Introduction, quiz and opening questions||Whole group|
|Taking the history||Lecture|
|Fits, faints and funny turns||Lecture|
|10.15-10.30||Tea and coffee break|
|10.30-12.15||Session 2: Seizures and syndromes|
|Epileptic seizures and epilepsies||Lecture|
|13.00-14.30||Session 3: Acute management and risks|
|Epilepsy and risks||Lecture|
|14.30-16.00||Session 4: Treatment and co-morbidities|
|Medical treatment of childhood epilepsies||Lecture|
|Epilepsy, learning and behaviour||Lecture|
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
PET1 has been developed to improve practice within childhood epilepsies. It is suitable for all health professionals providing primary or secondary level care for children with paroxysmal episodes including:
- Consultant Paediatricians and trainees
- Consultants in Neurodisability and trainees
- Consultant Community Paediatricians
- Consultants in Emergency Medicine and trainees
- Nurses in paediatrics and emergency medicine
- Neurophysiologists and EEG technicians
It is recommended those planning to undertake PET2 and PET3 should first complete PET1.
If you are not currently a practising clinician or you hold a different job role to those listed above, please contact the Brazilian League of Epilepsy on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss whether you should attend this course.
MAPPING TO GENERAL PAEDIATRIC COMPETENCIES