Children's Headache Training (CHaT)
CHaT has been developed by Paediatric Neurologists and Paediatricians with an expertise in headache with the aim of improving the knowledge and skills of health professionals who care for children and young people with headache.
CHaT is a 1-day course that has short didactic lectures and interactive workshops, with a maximum of 8 participants. The course is delivered by a faculty of 5-7 Paediatric Neurologists and Paediatricians with a special interest in headache. Course materials are updated every 3-years.
CHaT has been developed for:
- General Practitioners and GP trainees
- Consultant Paediatricians and Paediatric trainees
- Consultants in Paediatric Emergency Medicine and emergency medicine trainees
- Health professionals working within a pain service eg Psychologists
- Consultant Paediatric Neurologists and Paediatric Neurology trainees
This course is supplemented by the BPNA Distance Learning Unit 12: Headache for health professionals who would like to learn more.
CHaT learning objectives:
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Diagnose secondary headaches and take initial steps in their management
- Diagnose and manage migraine, migraine variants and other primary headache types
- Know which elements of the history/examination mandate brain imagine and other tests
- Learn how to take a headache focused history and undertake a relevant examination
- Classify headache based on this information alone (reducing reliance on investigation)
- Learn about pathophysiology of headache
- 96% of attendees rated CHaT Excellent (52%) or Very good (48%)
- 93% of attendees reported their expectations of the course were Exceeded (63%) or Fulfilled (30%)
- 82% of attendees will definitely recommend CHaT to their colleagues
- Very well organised. Very useful for day to day practice. Excellent faculty. Thorough. Workshops useful as was interactive.
- Very useful information for general paeds.
- Very good course, good overview, excellent faculty - friendly.
- The inclusion of Headache diary and classification was very useful.
- The course was well run. Very informative. It is a brilliant course and I have learnt a lot in this course.
- Well organised. Excellent pack, lecture notes, handouts. Very interactive course and useful discussions.
- Excellent course. Inspiring. I feel motivated to set up a headache service once I become a Consultant.